July 21, 2009 | In: Download, Meeting
Here is the presentation that Brian Jacobs reviewed during our last WNYLUG meeting. Thanks again Brian and we expect to see you sporting your new Fedora shirt at the next meeting!
Brian Jacobs Presentation – Internet Architecture
July 22nd, 2009 at 12:04 AM
Excellent notes, Brian!
August 24th, 2009 at 6:42 AM
Topic: Intro to Networking
Presenter: Brian Jacobs
Host speaker: Steve Szubinski
This month’s WNYLUG meeting started with a word from Steve Szubinski, Managing Partner of The PCA Group, host of the WNYLUG meetings. Steve thanked the WNYLUG members for their continued attendance and for helping to generate interest in Linux throughout the WNY area.
In addition to Brian Jacobs presentation, ‘Introduction to Networking’ several other topics were discussed at the meeting including but not limited to the following;
* Discussion on etc/hosts and loopback entries
o Installing ‘Counter Spy’ adds hundreds or possibly thousands of entries in the c:\windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file effectively blacklisting all the entries.
* NSLookup, how to use it and read the results
o Example of NSLookup dropping to its own shell and prompting for a URL
* Discussion on using DIG and Telnet
* Authentication via Telnet
* Discussion of IP packets and how the router looks at certain bits of the packet header for specific information.
* Discussion of IPV6, why it is needed and who is using it now.
* Fedora Install Fest set for July 25, 2009 but their may be a delay in obtaining official live media.
* Workshop topics may develop at the Fedora Install Fest
Copyright © 2009 - WNYLUG.org - is proudly powered by WordPress | Log in
Gadgetizer Theme is created by: Design Disease