[WNYLUG-Users] VPN and bittorrent

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Tue Mar 31 19:06:35 EDT 2015

Just got VPN Unlimited from MakeUseOf. It works fine on Linux with no
configuration other than choosing a server. That's great for me because
I don't have to learn all the technology before I can use it.  As soon
as I run the application, everything starts using the VPN. But ...

Understandably, there doesn't seem to be a way to open a port for my
Transmission bittorrent client to use.

Given that this is Linux, just about anything should be possible, so
what I want to know is:

Is there a way for me (without extensive hacking , or other rocket
science) to set things up so that (only) Transmission uses my ISP
directly (where port forwarding is not an issue)?

I will still use the VPN when I'm away from home and with other devices
like tablets.

TIA