[WNYLUG-Users] Cloning root and home

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Tue Mar 10 16:48:45 EDT 2015

That's why I titled my post "Cloning ...".

Installing a clean distro is way easier and way faster (I don't need to
ask any questions to do that.), but:
I do extensive customization on my installs and it takes a couple of
weeks of clock time to get a fresh one put back together.

I set it up from the start with 2 home and 2 root partitions, so I don't
need to do any partition level stuff at all (once I cleaned out the
destination partitions).

Having /home on a separate partition (as I have done for some years now)
is a great idea for several reasons, but sharing it between two distro
releases isn't always one of them. I had all sorts of grief when I did a
clean install of Kubuntu 13.10 on another partition of my other notebook
and then tried to reboot into Oneiric on the original partition. Desktop
search (which I never had or wanted) started running "all by itself" and
I had to swat a bunch of processes to stop it and then figure out how to
keep it disabled. Config files change!

Joe