[WNYLUG-Users] Firefox problem

josephj at main.nc.us josephj at main.nc.us
Fri Mar 23 04:05:32 EDT 2012

No answers, but:

Firefox and Thunderbird haven't changed that much since they went into
major version of the week mode around version 4.  They're certainly not
fixing my pet peeves (and I have posted notes and filed a bug or two).

I'm running 11.0 on kubuntu oneiric (11.10) and I don't have any "new"
problems.  In fact, Googlebar Lite finally works right again.

Maybe your whole .mozilla folder needs to go.

If Firefox is closed, you can directly edit your prefs.js file (which is
where about:config comes from).  There's a little more syntax to deal
with, but it's not too bad.

On that note, if you have a backup of those files (profiles and prefs)
from when it worked right, you might just try backing up your current
files and replacing them with the ones that worked.  There's a fair chance
that may work.

I don't have it setup on this machine, so I can't paste it here, but what
I've done in the past is create another hidden folder where Firefox won't
touch it and put my profiles there.  That way, they only change when I
change them.  I can also do uninstalls and installs and then just point
them to my existing profiles without having to transfer or reconfigure

To make that work, edit ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini and change Path to
point at your directory.  If you use a full path, set IsRelative=0.