[WNYLUG-Users] vmware player and Windows 7

josephj at main.nc.us josephj at main.nc.us
Tue Feb 28 04:15:54 EST 2012

I'm trying to get Windows 7 to run in a vm under kubuntu oneiric.

I ran the standalone converter and made a vm from my running version of
Windows 7.

There might have been a problem during this process, but it did finish.
I'm not sure what happened, but it looked like Windows shut itself down in
the middle of the conversion and then picked up where it left off when I
restarted it, but it may have just locked the screen after inactivity.

As usual, I don't have Windows install disks, just the installed version
that came with this newer notebook. I updated it and installed just a few
things I needed.  I want to do most of the work on it after it's in a vm
where it belongs.

I downloaded and installed vmware player.

The vm runs under the player, but says there is no vmware tools in the
library when I try to install the tools which are needed to make the vm
really useful.

I did some Googling and got even more confused.

Am I trying to do something that won't work?

Is there a version of vmware tools for Windows 7?

How do I get it and install it if there is one?

Is there another approach to this (that doesn't cost a ton of money)?

Although I used vmware standalone converter to create the vm, I could use
another package like virtualbox to run it if that would work better and I
could adapt the vm to it.