[WNYLUG-Users] Topic ideas for next meeting ?

J. Hart jhart666 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 12:47:58 EST 2012

The following is a brief sampling of topics I could do.  There's
probably much more, but this for me is a bit like accurately listing all
the words I know in English. It really depends on what people would be
interested in.  Many of the following could be elaborated upon :

installing packages from source {
    configure, make, make install
    /usr/local for patching distros
    PATH
    /usr/local vs /usr
}
GNU debugger(gdb)
GNU C++ (g++)
GNU C (gcc)
bash and bash scripting
Expect
autoconf ?
vim ?
GNU make
IPtables
Qt4
Athena
symbolic algebra ? (Maxima, Maple, Mathematica)
Eureqa symbolic regression system ?
custom kernel building
backup procedures {
    tar
    dump/restore
    device mapper
    snapshots
}
kernel drivers
wireless
setting up a network

Here's one I could do (I've actually done this), but it would be longer
than the server extravaganza....:

building a linux distro from source {
    linux from scratch
    DIY linux
    my own distro (Joenix ?)
}

I'd like to see some of the following done.  I need to brush up on these
anyway, so I may do that and present as I go:

Java
JavaScript
HTML
HTML5