[WNYLUG-Users] Centralized Logging Solution

Justin Elze formulals1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 10:53:53 EDT 2011

Have you looked into Splunk?

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Robert Wolfe <rwolfe at fpsoft.net> wrote:

> Well, decided I would go after a better log management and consolidation
> system that is better (and cheaper in the long run) than Splunk.
> What I was looking for was the ability to:
> 1) consolidate all logs files onto one central server,
> 2) store the logs on that central server using a MySQL backend,
> 3) have the ability to search that database with a web frontend, and
> 4) have that web front be a secure one secured with usernames and passwords
> at the very least.
> So, having said that, I have found three things that meet my requirements
> (MySQL being a given):
> 1) rsyslogd (http://www.rsyslog.com)
> 2) LogAnalyzer (http://loganalyzer.adiscon.**com/<http://loganalyzer.adiscon.com/>
> )
> 3) MySQL (http://www.mysql.com)
> Note that 1 and 2 are made by the same company.
> Note that there is also an open source client for WIndows 32-bit and 64-bit
> machines that will send system event logs to a remote rsyslogd server:
> http://code.google.com/p/**eventlog-to-syslog/<http://code.google.com/p/eventlog-to-syslog/>
> So if you are looking for a decent logging solution, may I recommend giving
> this setup a try and it seems so far to be working well for me here at home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments thereto is intended only
for use by the individual or entity to whom it's addressed and may be
proprietary and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, without
the prior written permission of the sender is strictly prohibited.   If you
receive this e-mail in error, please immediately telephone or e-mail the
sender and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of this
e-mail, and any printout thereof.