[WNYLUG-Users] Shell command suggestions

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sun Jul 17 17:01:07 EDT 2011

I use a bunch of my shell scripts on the command line.

For instance, I have one named rmpq.
When I make a typo, I get something like this (unless I get lucky and
the typo exists!):

bigbird at sananda:~/pq$ mpq
No command 'mpq' found, did you mean:
  Command 'mpd' from package 'mpich2' (universe)
  Command 'mpd' from package 'mpd' (universe)
  Command 'mpb' from package 'mpb' (universe)
  Command 'mpc' from package 'mpc' (universe)
  Command 'mpqc' from package 'mpqc' (universe)
  Command 'pq' from package 'pq' (multiverse)
  Command 'mp' from package 'mp' (universe)
  Command 'maq' from package 'maq' (universe)
  Command 'lpq' from package 'lpr' (universe)
  Command 'lpq' from package 'lprng' (universe)
  Command 'lpq' from package 'cups-bsd' (main)
mpq: command not found

Is there an *easy* way to tell Linux about my scripts so it offers them
as suggestions as well?

They're not in a package although maybe they could be put in a dummy one
if I knew how.

TIA