[WNYLUG-Users] kde keyboard lock out

frank pirrone fpirrone at verizon.net
Fri Feb 26 20:17:57 EST 2010

Joe wrote:
> I don't know how to Google this one.
>
> This may be new in kde 4, I'm not sure.  I don't think I noticed this
> before.
>
> When I'm doing anything in a window and I access a pull down menu or
> dialog box that expects input, that's the only thing I can do.  It won't
> let me go down to my panel and switch to another desktop (to get
> information about what I should type in to the pull-down, etc.).  It
> won't even let me use my Print Screen button on the keyboard which I
> just hooked up to ksnapshot.  Everything works fine once I exit the
> pull-down, etc..
>
> There are work-arounds, but all of them involve starting over or running
> a time delayed ksnapshot.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> TIA
>
> Joe

Joe,

Just logged out of Gnome and into KDE and could not replicate that
behavior.

First, what happens on my system with KDE 4.3.5 is just what you'd
expect to happen - the drop-down menu or input dialog automatically
closes when you move the cursor down to the panel and click on another
workspace in the pager.  I wouldn't expect any dialog to remain open
waiting for a click-choice or input if I access something else.  I also
wouldn't expect to have to take an explicit action to close that dialog
before being able to click something on the panel.

Second, one solution is something I do countless times during most work
sessions - swipe the desired item into the copy buffer, then change to
the workspace or application or terminal, whatever, to access the input
dialog and middle-click to paste.

Frank