[WNYLUG-Users] Symbian

Ron ronbca at cogeco.ca
Sun Feb 14 19:29:43 EST 2010

gotRon wrote:
> Here is an article that may be of interest to someone.

This sounds really cool. Anybody know much about it?

I currently have a relatively simple cell phone. It does pretty much
everything I want it to, but it would be really nice if I could make
some minor changes to its gui.

If I had a phone based on Symbian (or Android), would that be possible?
Could I make changes and then flash my own custom system?

Are there phones I could get that would work in WNY that would support
this?

Would doing something like this void warranties, etc.? After trying to
get vendor support for computers running Linux, I won't even ask about
support for a modified cell phone.

How much of a rocket scientist would I have to be to do things like
assign a soft key to a pre-existing menu option that can't be assigned
using the normal configuration options, or to build in something that
would temporarily disable keys to prevent butt dialing or accidental mp3
playing?

Joe

Sorry Joe,

I came across the article and just passed it on.  My knowledge and
experience are quite limited, to the point that my not responding to
questions on the list is completely due to not knowing the answer except
when I don't even understand the question :-)

This didn't arrive through the list for some reason, i'll send it to the
lug perhaps the gurus there will be able to help.
--

cheers
Ron
ronbca at cogeco.ca