[WNYLUG-Users] Screensaver activation

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sun Feb 14 13:01:54 EST 2010

Awhile ago someone on the list showed me how to start my screen saver
manually.  It worked great under jaunty.  Now, under karmic, it seems to
be broken.

A quick scan of Google indicates that kde 4 may be incompatible with
xdg,  Any way around this?

Any ideas?

bigbird at sananda:~/bin$ xdg-screensaver activate
call failed

A related question:  Under kubuntu karmic is there a way to have just
the screen saver active?  What I mean by that is that the only way I've
found to enable the screen saver is to go into power management and turn
on an option that also involves telling the machine to shutdown, etc.
after a time limit.  When my notebook is plugged in (almost all the
time) I don't want it to shut down ever, but I do want the screen saver
to kick in.

I've looked at the power management profiles and the options are all the
same.  You can't select screen saver without some power down option as well.

TIA