[WNYLUG-Users] Network Monitoring

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 14 11:17:28 EST 2010

aliased nics should work fine via snmp,  so try mrtg.  http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/

Just setup netsnmp so that it answers  to whichever host is querying it (it can be itself if u want). Cacti ins't too bad, and it's nice in that it is relatively easy to make custom graphs to graph just about anything.   Create a VM to run it (or mrtg or wahtever) and once you start graphing shit,  you'll start graphing all sorts of stuff. (how much mail comes in.out,  how much is spam and caught, etc...

 -- David J. Andruczyk