[WNYLUG-Users] Restrictions

frank pirrone fpirrone at verizon.net
Thu Feb 11 20:56:25 EST 2010

Brian Powell wrote:
> <snip>
> ...I am with the others, tell Joyce to leave the social sites for at home
> and do her job or she can find another one.

Absolutely, but I am very sensitive to AUPs having researched those in
use by school districts across WNY as well as having reviewed legal
issues and BOCES templates, and then having written Tonawanda's.

Accessing social networking sites as well as e-commerce sites (or
anything socially acceptable or consistent with the company culture
found on the Internet) during fully unencumbered time at work - before
and after the workday, during lunch and breaks, etc. may be as
appropriate as riffling through a catalog or reading a chapter in a book
at those same times.

Consider this carefully before you reflexively implement lock down and
restriction measures and policies, and of course both supervise and
respect your workers.  The same thing applies to any technology-enabled
device.  The simple fact that there are electrons flowing through it
does not suggest that it's doing something that people have never done
before,  therefore requiring special regulation.

Technical concerns - security, bandwidth, etc., may apply...

Frank