[WNYLUG-Users] Ok...I give up!

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sun Feb 7 03:15:27 EST 2010

R May wrote:
> Hi, All
> Ok...I give up! I got the grub issue fixed, but now that I'm trying to
> get the printer working on this box for both kubuntu & debian kde, I
> can't get either one to set up the printer. I have not tried to set up
> the scanner yet since I'm having so much trouble getting the printer
> on line.
>
> Here is the background info:
> I have a wired router with a printserver, with an HP 1100 laser printer.
>
> The scanner is an old Acer Prisa Acerscan 310P, its a parallel scanner.
>
> Now mind you the printer is working on the two other boxes running
> fedora, pclinuxos, and mandriva gnome, on one box, and pclinuxos, and
> mandriva kde on the other. They all see and work the printer! The kde
> box even has a usb scanner on it and it works too!
>
> So what am I doing wrong? Are debian based distors that hard to set up
> your printer and scanner?
>
> Help!
>
> Ron:)

I've never set up a networked printer (hoping to get one soon), but when
I upgraded from jaunty to karmic,  hplip (the driver/utilities for my HP
printers) and the printer stopped working for awhile.  I had to go into
CUPS (localhost:631 in my browser) and delete the printer, let CUPS find
it again (Administration->Find New Printers) and fill in the driver
(foo2zjs), etc.  I also downloaded the driver from  the foo2zjs project
site and installed it.  I had to do this several times before it finally
stabilized.  Now, I find that CUPS is usually dead or not started on my
system after boot up and I have to manually restart it (sudo
/etc/init.d/cups restart).  I haven't researched why this is happening
yet since restarting CUPS works.
(You'll know CUPS is dead if you go to localhost:631 and get a browser
error like not found.)

I checked the open printing database:

http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1100

and you don't need the foo2zjs like I do, but it tells you how to fix a
multiple sheet feed problem the printer is known to have.

HTH