[WNYLUG-Users] Ok...I give up!

frank pirrone fpirrone at verizon.net
Fri Feb 5 20:11:27 EST 2010

R May wrote:
> Hi, All
> Ok...I give up! I got the grub issue fixed, but now that I'm trying to get the printer working on this box for both kubuntu & debian kde, I can't get either one to set up the printer. I have not tried to set up the scanner yet since I'm having so much trouble getting the printer on line.
>
> Here is the background info:
> I have a wired router with a printserver, with an HP 1100 laser printer.
>
> The scanner is an old Acer Prisa Acerscan 310P, its a parallel scanner.
>
> Now mind you the printer is working on the two other boxes running fedora, pclinuxos, and mandriva gnome, on one box, and pclinuxos, and mandriva kde on the other. They all see and work the printer! The kde box even has a usb scanner on it and it works too!
>
> So what am I doing wrong? Are debian based distors that hard to set up your printer and scanner?
>
> Help!
>
> Ron:)

Ron,

The distros do vary, as do the two main desktop environments, but one
thing you can do, assuming CUPS is what you're running on all your
boxes, is to review the configurations of those that are working to get
some clue as to what you've got to do with the one that isn't.

What you describe indicates, as you know, Debian/KUbuntu aren't picking
up the printer correctly while the Mandriva/PCLinuxOS are.  There's a
difference in the base distros and a difference in the version and setup
of KDE.  This suggests another solution, ditch Debian/KUbuntu and stay
with the one that works.

Frank