[WNYLUG-Announce] Database Seminar for June 9, 2016 - Design Process

Charlie cjwertz at gmail.com
Wed May 25 19:20:30 EDT 2016

This meetup will be on Thursday, June 9, at 7:00 PM in 10 Capen Hall on
the UB North Campus. Capen Hall is adjacent to Talbert, the building
we've been meeting in. 10 is on the ground floor. It is probably best to
park in the Fronczak B lot. When you enter from that side, 10 is off to
the left. No parking permit is needed after 3:00 PM.

Dan Magnuszewski will discuss the design and implementation of the
database and stack for ACV Auctions, a dealer to dealer marketplace for
used vehicles. I've asked Dan to review the methodology they followed in
selecting software, designing the stack, and designing the database.

Dan has 15 years of experience in the software industry. Having worked
as a software engineer at Synacor, he went out on his own and served as
a "technical cofounder for hire" helping startups build their products
and businesses. He was previously the Managing Director of Z80 Labs, a
startup incubator and $5mm seed fund in Buffalo, and a board member of
UVANY (Upstate Venture Association of NY). Dan is currently a Cofounder
and CTO of ACV Auctions, a dealer to dealer marketplace for used vehicles.

We'll continue with light refreshments as we've been doing. Let's set
7:00 as the meet and get settled time with the talk starting at 7:15.

Our current sponsor is Stark and Wayne. Stark & Wayne LLC is a US-based
consultancy that specializes in Cloud Foundry & BOSH. They are a
founding Silver member of the Cloud Foundry Foundation and are widely
recognized as the leading consultancy, community contributors, and
educators for both Cloud Foundry & BOSH.

Stark & Wayne works on open source projects to make it easier for
companies and their staff to discover Cloud Foundry, onboard it into
their organization, and have success with it. They are also the creators
and maintainers of popular open source projects bosh-bootstrap
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-bootstrap>, bosh-gen
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-gen>, bosh-workspace
<https://github.com/rkoster/bosh-workspace>,
community-shared-boshreleases
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/community-shared-boshreleases>
and the staticfile-buildpack
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/staticfile-buildpack/> which
was recently promoted into the Cloud Foundry Incubator program for
consideration as a first-class Cloud Foundry code base. We created the
end-to-end tool chain
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install for
booting up Cloud Foundry into a new AWS VPC.

Please rsvp (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/230052230/) so I
know how many are coming. Doing this helps me a lot. Also, if a problem
or change comes up, I will send a meetup message to all who have rsvp'd.