[WNYLUG-Announce] Reminder - Database Seminar for May 12, 2016 - Data as a Service

Charlie cjwertz at gmail.com
Sat May 7 13:28:46 EDT 2016

This meetup is at 7:00PM on Thursday, May 12, in Talbert Hall 103 on the
UB North campus.

One of the relatively new "buzzwords" in the technology world is DBaaS
(Database as a Service). It is experiencing significant flux and
technology investment as major players try to snap up a piece of this
rapidly growing service area. But what is it really? How does it compare
to more traditional database services and what is its value prop? In
May, Tyler Poland will present on DBaaS and cover some of this ground
and more as we explore what it means to have a database in the Cloud.
Tyler's job title is Data Support Analyst at EngineYard. Those of you
who attend regularly know him well. He has spoken to us before.

This meetup will be at 7:00PM on Thursday, May 12, in Talbert Hall 103
on the UB North Campus.

Talbert Hall is more or less between the Governor's and Hochstetter
parking lots. It is next to the Natural Sciences Complex. Room 103 is on
the same level as the Hochstetter lots. No permit is required after 3:00 PM.

We'll continue with light refreshments as we've been doing. Let's set
7:00 as the meet and get settled time with the talk starting at 7:15.

Our current sponsor is Stark and Wayne. Stark & Wayne LLC is a US-based
consultancy that specializes in Cloud Foundry & BOSH. They are a
founding Silver member of the Cloud Foundry Foundation and are widely
recognized as the leading consultancy, community contributors, and
educators for both Cloud Foundry & BOSH.

Stark & Wayne works on open source projects to make it easier for
companies and their staff to discover Cloud Foundry, onboard it into
their organization, and have success with it. They are also the creators
and maintainers of popular open source projects bosh-bootstrap
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-bootstrap>, bosh-gen
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-gen>, bosh-workspace
<https://github.com/rkoster/bosh-workspace>,
community-shared-boshreleases
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/community-shared-boshreleases>
and the staticfile-buildpack
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/staticfile-buildpack/> which
was recently promoted into the Cloud Foundry Incubator program for
consideration as a first-class Cloud Foundry code base. We created the
end-to-end tool chain
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install> for
booting up Cloud Foundry into a new AWS VPC.

Please rsvp (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/230051861/
<http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/230051861/>) so I know how many
are coming. Doing this helps me a lot. Also, if a problem or change
comes up, I will send a meetup message to all who have rsvp'd.