[WNYLUG-Announce] Database Seminar for April 14, 2016 - Big-PostgreSQL

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 15:37:46 EST 2016

This meetup will be at 7:00PM on Thursday, April 14, in Talbert Hall 103
on the UB North Campus. It was originally scheduled for February 11, but
Scott Mead came up with laryngitis.

Scott Mead is a Sr. Architect and founding member at the Open Source
Consulting Group (OpenSCG).  Scott has 12 years of experience with the
PostgreSQL database engine including, migrations to / from commercial
and open-source RDBMS, application development, large-scale (500+ node)
database administration and modification of the PostgreSQL kernel.
Lately, Scott has been highly focused on relational data in a
horizontally-scalable world; integrating PostgreSQL with NoSQL data
processing engines.

Talk: What's the place of an RDBMS in a NoSQL world?  We will dive in
to tools and tricks available to PostgreSQL developers and admins that
allow us to take advantage of BOTH horizontally-scalable AND relational
models simultaneously.

Talbert Hall is more or less between the Governor's and Hochstetter
parking lots. It is next to the Natural Sciences Complex. Room 103 is on
the same level as the Hochstetter lots. No permit is required after 3:00 PM.

We'll continue with light refreshments as we've been doing. Let's set
7:00 as the meet and get settled time with the talk starting at 7:15.Â

Our current sponsor is Stark and Wayne. Stark & Wayne LLC is a US-based
consultancy that specializes in Cloud Foundry & BOSH. They are a
founding Silver member of the Cloud Foundry Foundation and are widely
recognized as the leading consultancy, community contributors, and
educators for both Cloud Foundry & BOSH.

Stark & Wayne works on open source projects to make it easier for
companies and their staff to discover Cloud Foundry, onboard it into
their organization, and have success with it. They are also the creators
and maintainers of popular open source projects bosh-bootstrap
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-bootstrap>, bosh-gen
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-gen>, bosh-workspace
<https://github.com/rkoster/bosh-workspace>,community-shared-boshreleases <http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/community-shared-boshreleases>Â and
the staticfile-buildpack
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/staticfile-buildpack/>which
was recently promoted into the Cloud Foundry Incubator program for
consideration as a first-class Cloud Foundry code base. We created the
end-to-end tool
chainhttps://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install for
booting up Cloud Foundry into a new AWS VPC.

Please rsvp (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/228333316/) so I
know how many are coming. Doing this helps me a lot. Also, if a problem
or change comes up, I will send a meetup message to all who have rsvp'd.Â