[WNYLUG-Announce] Database Seminar for March 10, 2016 - Reliable Distributed Computing

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:31:31 EST 2016

his Meetup will be on Thursday, March 10, at 7:00PM in Talbert 103 on
the UB North Campus.

The Stark and Wayne guys will discuss Reliable Distributed PostgreSQL
(RDPG).

We will discuss and demonstrate how we used the PostgreSQL BDR project
(Logical Bi-Directional replication
streams,http://2ndquadrant.com/en-us/resources/bdr/
<http://2ndquadrant.com/en-us/resources/bdr/>) together with Consul
(https://www.consul.io <https://www.consul.io/>) and BOSH
(http://mariash.github.io/learn-bosh/
<http://mariash.github.io/learn-bosh/>) as an example PostgreSQL service
for the Cloud Foundry platform-as-a-service offering.

We will cover where the project is at, what trade-offs we made, and what
future plans we have for the project.

The presentation will be given by Xiujiao Gao. She is currently pursuing
her Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering at the State University of
New York at Buffalo (UB).  Her research projects at UB including Virtual
Network (VN) Mapping, Multicast Services VN Mapping and Mapping
Reliability in Cloud Computing.She is currently working at Stark & Wayne
as a Cloud Engineer helping to deliver tremendous value to customers
(such as GE). She has been working on the RDPG project, bosh deployments
for various products and pipelines for automated deployment of various
services at Stark & Wayne. She is one of the main contributors to the
RDPG project. Xiujiao has previously presented at both academic and
industry conferences.

Talbert Hall is more or less between the Governor's and Hochstetter
parking lots. It is next to the Natural Sciences Complex. Room 103 is on
the same level as the Hochstetter lots. No permit is required after 3:00
PM.

We'll continue with light refreshments as we've been doing. Let's set
7:00 as the meet and get settled time with the talk starting at 7:15.

Our current sponsor is Stark and Wayne. Stark & Wayne LLC is a US-based
consultancy that specializes in Cloud Foundry & BOSH. They are a
founding Silver member of the Cloud Foundry Foundation and are widely
recognized as the leading consultancy, community contributors, and
educators for both Cloud Foundry & BOSH.

Stark & Wayne works on open source projects to make it easier for
companies and their staff to discover Cloud Foundry, onboard it into
their organization, and have success with it. They are also the creators
and maintainers of popular open source projects bosh-bootstrap
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-bootstrap>, bosh-gen
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-gen>, bosh-workspace
<https://github.com/rkoster/bosh-workspace>,
community-shared-boshreleases
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/community-shared-boshreleases>
and the staticfile-buildpack
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/staticfile-buildpack/> which
was recently promoted into the Cloud Foundry Incubator program for
consideration as a first-class Cloud Foundry code base. We created the
end-to-end tool chain
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install> for
booting up Cloud Foundry into a new AWS VPC.

Please rsvp (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/225952431/
<http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/225952431/>) so I know how many
are coming. Doing this helps me a lot.