[WNYLUG-Announce] Database Seminar for Feb 11, 2016 - Mimir probabilistic data cleaning tool

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 13:01:13 EST 2016

This is the meetup that was originally scheduled for November. It will
now be held at 7:00 PM on Thursday, February 11, in Talbert Hall 103 on
the UB North Campus.

This presentation will be given by several UB students (thanks to Oliver
Kennedy).

Mimir is a tool being developed at UB to helping analysts interact with
uncertain data.  Our initial goal is to use this technology to make it
easier to automate data cleaning and ETL.  Data cleaning is a huge
problem: Without putting the effort in to clean and validate your data,
you can't rely on answers that your database gives you.  However,
sitting down and manually verifying every single record in your database
is painfully slow.  At the November DB Seminar, prepare to get blown
away by the Mimir prototype probabilistic data cleaning tool.  Mimir
gets you querying your messy data as fast as possible, without
sacrificing trust in the query results that you rely on.

(The talk will be given by Ying Yang and Arindam Nandi.)

Talbert Hall is more or less between the Governor's and Hochstetter
parking lots. It is next to the Natural Sciences Complex. Room 103 is on
the same level as the Hochstetter lots. No permit is required after 3:00
PM.

We'll continue with light refreshments as we've been doing. Let's set
7:00 as the meet and get settled time with the talk starting at 7:15.

Our current sponsor is Stark and Wayne. Stark & Wayne LLC is a US-based
consultancy that specializes in Cloud Foundry & BOSH. They are a
founding Silver member of the Cloud Foundry Foundation and are widely
recognized as the leading consultancy, community contributors, and
educators for both Cloud Foundry & BOSH.

Stark & Wayne works on open source projects to make it easier for
companies and their staff to discover Cloud Foundry, onboard it into
their organization, and have success with it. They are also the creators
and maintainers of popular open source projects bosh-bootstrap
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-bootstrap>, bosh-gen
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-gen>, bosh-workspace
<https://github.com/rkoster/bosh-workspace>,
community-shared-boshreleases
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/community-shared-boshreleases>
and the staticfile-buildpack
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/staticfile-buildpack/> which
was recently promoted into the Cloud Foundry Incubator program for
consideration as a first-class Cloud Foundry code base. We created the
end-to-end tool chain
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install for
booting up Cloud Foundry into a new AWS VPC.

Please rsvp (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/227518019/) so I
know how many are coming. Doing this helps me a lot. Also, if
rescheduling becomes necessary, those who have rsvp'd will receive
notices from meetup.com.