[WNYLUG-Announce] Reminder - Database Seminar for Jan 14, 2016 - Big-PostgreSQL

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 17:24:48 EST 2016

This meetup will be at 7:00PM on Thursday, January 14, in Talbert Hall
103 on the UB North Campus.

  * This meetup (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/227384658/) on
    January 14, is the Big-PostgreSQL presentation by Scott Mead. We'll
    appreciate a decent turnout because Scott will be coming from Rochester.
  *

  * The next meetup
    (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/227518019/)  on February 11
    is the MIMIR presentation originally scheduled for November.
  *

  * After that (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/225952431/) on
    March 10, we have the Stark and Wayne presentation on Reliable
    Distributed Computing that was once planned for February.
  *

  * (Is this confusing enough?)

Scott Mead is a Sr. Architect and founding member at the Open Source
Consulting Group (OpenSCG).  Scott has 12 years of experience with the
PostgreSQL database engine including, migrations to / from commercial
and open-source RDBMS, application development, large-scale (500+ node)
database administration and modification of the PostgreSQL kernel.
Lately, Scott has been highly focused on relational data in a
horizontally-scalable world; integrating PostgreSQL with NoSQL data
processing engines.

*Talk: *What's the place of an RDBMS in a NoSQL world? We will dive in
to tools and tricks available to PostgreSQL developers and admins that
allow us to take advantage of BOTH horizontally-scalable AND relational
models simultaneously.

Talbert Hall is more or less between the Governor's and Hochstetter
parking lots. It is next to the Natural Sciences Complex. Room 103 is on
the same level as the Hochstetter lots. No permit is required after 3:00
PM.

We'll continue with light refreshments as we've been doing. Let's set
7:00 as the meet and get settled time with the talk starting at 7:15.

*Special note from  Charlie:* I let the TV weather discussion scare me
into calling off the November 12 session. I'm not sure how well I did at
notifying people. If you care to send me a phone number
(cjwertz at gmail.com <mailto:cjwertz at gmail.com>), I will call you if this
happens again. If you do this, let me know if it is a cell number; in
that case I will send a text. I promise not to give anyone else your
number and it is very unlikely I will use it for any other purpose.

Our current sponsor is Stark and Wayne. Stark & Wayne LLC is a US-based
consultancy that specializes in Cloud Foundry & BOSH. They are a
founding Silver member of the Cloud Foundry Foundation and are widely
recognized as the leading consultancy, community contributors, and
educators for both Cloud Foundry & BOSH.

Stark & Wayne works on open source projects to make it easier for
companies and their staff to discover Cloud Foundry, onboard it into
their organization, and have success with it. They are also the creators
and maintainers of popular open source projects bosh-bootstrap
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-bootstrap>, bosh-gen
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-gen>, bosh-workspace
<https://github.com/rkoster/bosh-workspace>,
community-shared-boshreleases
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/community-shared-boshreleases>
and the staticfile-buildpack
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/staticfile-buildpack/> which
was recently promoted into the Cloud Foundry Incubator program for
consideration as a first-class Cloud Foundry code base. We created the
end-to-end tool chain
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install> for
booting up Cloud Foundry into a new AWS VPC.

Please rsvp (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/227384658/
<http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/227384658/>) so I know how many
are coming. Doing this helps me a lot.