[WNYLUG-Announce] Database Seminar for Dec 10, 2015 - Hadoop

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 16:36:47 EST 2015

This meetup will be in Natural Sciences Complex on the UB North Campus
at 7:PM on December 10.

This will be a discussion of Hadoop by Ryan Brown.

Ryan Brown is an engineer (currently at Red Hat) on the OpenStack Heat
and Zaqar projects, which provide orchestration and messaging for clouds
built on open source technologies. He likes to use (and build) Open
Source to automate infrastructure, and free up time to enjoy the great
outdoors (or Netflix if that's your thing).

In this presentation, we'll take a look at the history of Hadoop from
its beginnings in the MapReduce paper, then dive in to the current
ecosystem. Modern Hadoop (and friends Spark, Hive, and Impala) can go
beyond traditional map/reduce workloads and provide analytics like fraud
alerts as they happen.

The talk will include a case study of a company that's built tools
around Hadoop to integrate with the rest of their business.

Please fill out the survey at http://da.gd/xjay to help Ryan plan his talk.

NSC is more or less between the Governor's and Hochstetter parking lots.
No permit is required after 3:00 PM.

We'll continue with light refreshments as we've been doing. Let's set
7:00 as the meet and get settled time with the talk starting at 7:15.

*Special note from  Charlie:* I let the TV weather discussion scare me
into calling off the November 12 session. I'm not sure how well I did at
notifying people. If you care to send me a phone number
(cjwertz at gmail.com), I will call you if this happens again. If you do
this, let me know if it is a cell number; in that case I will send a
text. I promise not to give anyone else your number and it is very
unlikely I will use it for any other purpose.

Our current sponsor is Stark and Wayne. Stark & Wayne LLC is a US-based
consultancy that specializes in Cloud Foundry & BOSH. They are a
founding Silver member of the Cloud Foundry Foundation and are widely
recognized as the leading consultancy, community contributors, and
educators for both Cloud Foundry & BOSH.

Stark & Wayne works on open source projects to make it easier for
companies and their staff to discover Cloud Foundry, onboard it into
their organization, and have success with it. They are also the creators
and maintainers of popular open source projects bosh-bootstrap
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-bootstrap>, bosh-gen
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-gen>, bosh-workspace
<https://github.com/rkoster/bosh-workspace>,
community-shared-boshreleases
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/community-shared-boshreleases>
and the staticfile-buildpack
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/staticfile-buildpack/> which
was recently promoted into the Cloud Foundry Incubator program for
consideration as a first-class Cloud Foundry code base. We created the
end-to-end tool chain
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install for
booting up Cloud Foundry into a new AWS VPC.

Please rsvp (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/224032630/) so I
know how many are coming. Doing this helps me a lot.