[WNYLUG-Announce] One More Time - Database Seminar for Nov 12, 2015 - Mimir probabilistic data cleaning tool

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 11:26:55 EST 2015

This meetup begins at 7:00 PM on Thursday, November 12, 2015 in NSC222
on the UB North Campus.

This presentation will be given by several UB students (thanks to Oliver
Kennedy).

Mimir is a tool being developed at UB to helping analysts interact with
uncertain data. Â Our initial goal is to use this technology to make it
easier to automate data cleaning and ETL. Â Data cleaning is a huge
problem: Without putting the effort in to clean and validate your data,
you can't rely on answers that your database gives you. Â However,
sitting down and manually verifying every single record in your database
is painfully slow. Â At the November DB Seminar, prepare to get blown
away by the Mimir prototype probabilistic data cleaning tool. Â Mimir
gets you querying your messy data as fast as possible, without
sacrificing trust in the query results that you rely on.

I, your meetup organizer, can vouch for the fact that this project
addresses a major problem encountered in data merging, data warehousing,
and any sort of Data Analytics.

(The talk will be given by Ying Yang, Arindam Nandi and Vinayak
Karuppasamy)

NSC is more or less between the Governor's and Hochstetter parking lots.
No permit is required after 3:00 PM.

We'll continue with light refreshments as we've been doing. Let's set
7:00 as the meet and get settled time with the talk starting at 7:15.

Our current sponsor is Stark and Wayne. Stark & Wayne LLC is a US-based
consultancy that specializes in Cloud Foundry & BOSH. They are a
founding Silver member of the Cloud Foundry Foundation and are widely
recognized as the leading consultancy, community contributors, and
educators for both Cloud Foundry & BOSH.

Stark & Wayne works on open source projects to make it easier for
companies and their staff to discover Cloud Foundry, onboard it into
their organization, and have success with it. They are also the creators
and maintainers of popular open source projects bosh-bootstrap
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-bootstrap>, bosh-gen
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-gen>, bosh-workspace
<https://github.com/rkoster/bosh-workspace>,
community-shared-boshreleases
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/community-shared-boshreleases>
and the staticfile-buildpack
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/staticfile-buildpack/> which
was recently promoted into the Cloud Foundry Incubator program for
consideration as a first-class Cloud Foundry code base. We created the
end-to-end tool chain
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install for
booting up Cloud Foundry into a new AWS VPC.

Please rsvp (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/224032621/) so I
know how many are coming. Doing this helps me a lot.