[WNYLUG-Announce] Database Seminar for June 18, 2015 - Data Science

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Sat May 30 11:20:24 EDT 2015

This meetup is in Room 113A of Davis Hall on White Road on the UB North
Campus at 7:00 PM on Thursday, June 18. Our Speaker will be John Favata,
Associate Professor in the Computer Information Systems department at
Buffalo State College. See
http://cis.buffalostate.edu/faculty/john-favata if you are interested.

Recently John has been working on the development of a curriculum for a
possible MS in Data Science.  The talk will cover what data science is
and why we need it as well as a review of the tools and techniques.

Room 113A is the first room on your left as you enter Davis Hall from
White Road. Davis Hall is on White Road near the bookstore. Parking is
available in the Jarvis Lot across the Road. No permit is required after
3:00 PM.

We'll continue with light refreshments as we've been doing. Let's set
7:00 as the meet and get settled time with the talk starting at 7:15.

Our current sponsor is Stark and Wayne. Stark & Wayne LLC is a US-based
consultancy that specializes in Cloud Foundry & BOSH. They are a
founding Silver member of the Cloud Foundry Foundation and are widely
recognized as the leading consultancy, community contributors, and
educators for both Cloud Foundry & BOSH.

Stark & Wayne works on open source projects to make it easier for
companies and their staff to discover Cloud Foundry, onboard it into
their organization, and have success with it. They are also the creators
and maintainers of popular open source projects bosh-bootstrap
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-bootstrap>, bosh-gen
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-gen>, bosh-workspace
and the staticfile-buildpack
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/staticfile-buildpack/> which
was recently promoted into the Cloud Foundry Incubator program for
consideration as a first-class Cloud Foundry code base. We created the
end-to-end tool chain
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install for
booting up Cloud Foundry into a new AWS VPC.

Please rsvp (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/222025806/) so I
know how many are coming. Doing this helps me a lot.