[WNYLUG-Announce] Database Tour - Sep 10, 2015

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 14:56:19 EDT 2015

The first database Seminar of the Fall season will begin at 7:00 PM on
Thursday September 10, in room 338A of Davis Hall on the UB North Campus.

Charlie Wertz, fearless moderator of this meetup, will present a
Whirlwind Tour of Database Systems. This presentation is intended to
provide a perspective on the evolution from the dark ages of hard coded
data structures to the glorious present (where thousands of flowers have
bloomed). It should provide a valuable perspective on other meetups in
this series. It is an update of the presentation that kicked off this
meetup several years ago. Subject to time constraints, audience
participation will be encouraged.

Davis Hall is on White Road near the bookstore. Parking is available in
the Jarvis Lot across the Road. No permit is required after 3:00 PM.
Room 338A is directly above the room we have been meeting in.  If you
take the elevator to the 3rd floor, turn left as you exit; the room is
at the end of the hall to the right.

We'll continue with light refreshments as we've been doing. Let's set
7:00 as the meet and get settled time with the talk starting at 7:15.

The next meetup on Thursday, October 8, will feature a demo of Doolli.

Our current sponsor is Stark and Wayne. Stark & Wayne LLC is a US-based
consultancy that specializes in Cloud Foundry & BOSH. They are a
founding Silver member of the Cloud Foundry Foundation and are widely
recognized as the leading consultancy, community contributors, and
educators for both Cloud Foundry & BOSH.

Stark & Wayne works on open source projects to make it easier for
companies and their staff to discover Cloud Foundry, onboard it into
their organization, and have success with it. They are also the creators
and maintainers of popular open source projects bosh-bootstrap
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-bootstrap>, bosh-gen
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/bosh-gen>, bosh-workspace
<https://github.com/rkoster/bosh-workspace>,
community-shared-boshreleases
<http://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/community-shared-boshreleases>
and the staticfile-buildpack
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/staticfile-buildpack/> which
was recently promoted into the Cloud Foundry Incubator program for
consideration as a first-class Cloud Foundry code base. We created the
end-to-end tool chain
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/terraform-aws-cf-install for
booting up Cloud Foundry into a new AWS VPC.

Please rsvp (http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/222025806/) so I
know how many are coming. Doing this helps me a lot.