[WNYLUG-Announce] This coming Thursday: Database Seminar - Databases and Programming Languages

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 12:45:23 EDT 2014

See: http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/203940622/

Thursday, September 25, 2014 at7:00 PM.

      Natural Sciences Complex - Room 220
      <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Putnam+Way+-+UB+North+Campus%2C+Amherst+%2C+NY%2C+14260-1110%2C+us>

Putnam Way - UB North Campus, Amherst , NY

Our very own well known and world famous Oliver Kennedy will be
discussing databases and programming languages. NSC is more or less
between the Governor's and Hochstetter parking lots. No permit is
required after 3PM.

We'll continue with light refreshments as we've been doing. Let's set
7:00 as the meet and get settled time with the talk starting at 7:15.
Please rsvp so I know how many are coming. We have a new sponsor: Empire
Innovation Group is a full service software, development, and consulting
operating in the financial and healthcare benefit service industries. (I
also still have a little of dooli's money to spend on this next meetup.)

Here is the expanded Meetup description.

The field of Databases brings to the table a portfolio of tools and
building blocks that include Index data structures, Algorithms for
common data-management tasks, and a number of well-understood, flexible
models for data and query processing.  The field of Programming
Languages brings to the table tools such as formal analysis, language
design, and program equivalence.

Recently, these two areas have seen an upsurge in cross-pollinated
research and system-development efforts, rangeing from domain-specific
languages for data-intensive computing to declarative debugging to new
approaches to transaction processing and concurrency, through to query
compilation to machine code.

Over the course of an hour or two, Oliver will pontificate about cool
things people are doing to unite these two fields, surveying some nifty
research and industrial projects, and maybe diverging into some
hypotheticals.

Please rsvp at http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/203940622/