[WNYLUG-Announce] One More Time: DB Seminar - ETL design patterns and data warehousing (OLTP vs OLAP) - May 8

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Sun May 4 18:50:37 EDT 2014

One last notice:

"At the end of the day most of the business software we write is for
accessing and storing data. Often these two functions are at odds with
one another. A data schema that optimizes for the needs of "write once
read many" is not necessarily going to be optimal for write many read
seldom. The application stack you engineered to collect data may be sub
optimal now that you actually have to do something with that data or
maybe you've moved on to newer technologies and have to support legacy
systems that can't be easily migrated.  I'm going to focus on some
examples in the wild from my experience implementing custom ETL
solutions.  Along the way I plan to touch on issues relating to data
quality, concurrency, ETL design patterns and data warehousing (OLTP vs
OLAP)."

This meetup will be at 7:00 PM on Thursday May 8 in Talbert Hall  107 on
the UB North Campus. Talbert Hall is between the Natural Sciences
Complex and Capen Hall. If you enter the campus on Flint Rd, it is a
little to the left of the Flint Loop. You will probably park in either
the Fronczak or Hochstetter lot. No permit is required for parking in
student lots at this time of day.

Our speaker, Bill Chapman is a Software and Operations Engineer who
specializes in helping businesses make pragmatic decisions about the
technology they use and the software they create.  He is currently an
operations engineer at cloud computing solutions provider Stark & Wayne
and a partner at software consultancy Division By Zero.

We've been settling for light refreshments and will do the same.
*doolli* is our current sponsor.

Please rsvp at http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/176616902/