[WNYLUG-Announce] CORRECTION - Database Seminar - BIG DATA on March 27, 2014

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 17:33:24 EST 2014

I DID IT AGAIN =- I HAD THE WRONG DATE IN THE TEXT - MARCH 27 IS THE
CORRECT DATE!

The next meetup will be at 7:00 PM on Thursday March 27 in Talbert Hall
107 on the UB North Campus. Talbert Hall is between the Natural Sciences
Complex and Capen Hall. If you enter the campus on Flint Rd, it is a
little to the left of the Flint Loop. You will probably park in either
the Fronczak or Hochstetter lot. No permit is required for parking in
student lots at this time of day.

*Nate Byrnes will discuss what big data is, where it comes from, and
some things that are be done with it as well as some of the how it is
being done.*

Currently the lead data analytics consultant for Rochester's Leveraging
Technology, Nate Byrnes has been working with and supporting
applications with large volumes of data since 2005 when he was a data
warehouse developer for ClientLogic (now Sitel). After that introduction
to what he thought was a lot of Data, Nate joined Netezza, where he was
given the chance to work on some much larger data problems. Tackling
issues from multi-terabyte data warehouses, to large scale video
computer vision, opened his eyes to the challenges and possibilities
presented by "big data."

We've been settling for light refreshments and will do the same.
*doolli* is our current sponsor.

About a dozen brave and hardy souls showed up on February 27 for
Databases: Distributed, Federated, Partitioned and Broken!
<http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/163903692/> We decided to
substitute a review of and interesting project Wayne and Chris are
working on, involving reliability in a multi server environment. The
planned talk will be rescheduled for April. Stay tuned.

Please rsvp at http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/168966672/
<http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/168966672/>