[WNYLUG-Announce] Database Seminar - Riak is bustin' out all over in June

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Mon May 20 12:23:01 EDT 2013

The June Database Seminar will be on *THURSDAY*, June 20. We'll be at
Engine Yard. Since this group hasn't been big on food, we'll just have
some light refreshment once again.

Dave Parfitt will talk about Riak.

Dave Parfitt is a Software Engineer at Basho Technologies, where he
writes Erlang, Java, Ruby and OCaml code for Riak Enterprise
multi-datacenter replication. He'll be discussing eventual consistency
and the Riak distributed database.

Riak is an open-source, masterless, distributed key/value database. Riak
replicates and retrieves data intelligently so it is available for read
and write operations, even in failure conditions. You can lose access to
many nodes due to network partition or hardware failure without losing
data. Riak automatically distributes data around the cluster and yields
a near-linear performance increase as you add capacity.

Come one! Come all! Please do rsvp at
http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/120308622/.

For some group history, see
http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/106157702/,
http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/100076172/,
http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/94847162/,
http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/110966692/,
http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/115647522/.

Other news:

I'm thinking we will take July and August off.

I'm considering several topics for Fall:  a DBA's view of Object
Relational Mapping; partitioning and sharding; database design and data
modelling; ssd; a repeat of my database systems overview. *Please
comment on these and offer some more  suggestions.* *Please let me know
if you have something you'd like to present or if you can suggest a
speaker.*

We are also still looking for sponsors.