[WNYLUG-Announce] DataBase Seminar - May is for Mongo

Charles J Wertz cjwertz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 17:12:57 EDT 2013

The May Database Seminar will be on THURSDAY, May 16. We'll be at Engine
Yard. Since this group hasn't been big on food, we'll just have some
light refreshment once again.

Dan Crosta will talk about MongoDB (from "humongous")  an open source
<http://www.mongodb.org/about/source-code/> document database, and
(according to the MongoDB folks) the leading NoSQL database
<http://www.10gen.com/leading-nosql-database>. Written in C++, MongoDB
features: Document-Oriented Storage, JSON-style documents, Full Index
Support, Replication & High Availability, Auto-Sharding, Querying, Fast
In-Place Updates, Map/Reduce, and GridFS.

"Dan is Lead Developer at Magnetic, an online advertising company based
in New York City and Buffalo, where he wrangles over 4 billion online ad
auctions per day. Before joining Magnetic, Dan was a member of the
Python programming team at 10gen, the MongoDB company, where he worked
on the MongoDB Python driver, internal tools and applications, training,
consulting, and developer evangelism. In his free time, Dan goes skiing
or wonders when it will next be ski season."

Come one! Come all! Please do rsvp at
http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/115647522/.

For some group history, see
http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/106157702/,
http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/100076172/,
http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/94847162/,
http://www.meetup.com/buffalolab/events/110966692/.

Looking ahead, Dave Parfitt will be talking about Riak in June. I'm
thinking we may take July and August off. We are considering a DBA's
view of Object Relational Mapping for a future date. I am thinking about
a talk on data modelling. We are also looking for more topics and
speakers. Please comment on all of this and offer suggestions. We are
also still looking for sponsors.

--

---